B.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION, 2010
( ENGLISH AND COMMUNICATIONS )
( FIRST YEAR )
( PART - III )
( PAPER - II )
530. HISTORY OF ENGLISH
May ] [ Time : 3 Hours
Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer FIVE of the following without omitting any group.
All questions carry equal marks. ( 5 × 20 = 100)
GROUP - A
1. Give an account of the Reformation Movement.
2. Describe the evolution of drama.
3. Bring out the different aspects of Spenser's poetry.
4. Why is Shakespeare applauded as a great dramatist of the Elizabethan Age ?
5. Write an essay on the Elizabethan Sonneteers.
GROUP - B
6. Write an essay on the Puritan Age.
7. Consider Donne as a Metaphysical Poet.
8. Give an account of Milton the Poet.
9. Justify Alexander Pope's place in English poetry.
10. What are the contributions of Dr.Johnson to Literature ?
GROUP - C
11. Comment on the plays of Sheridan and Goldsmith.
12. Discuss Romantic Movement and the exponents of it.
13. How does Coleridge differ from Wordsworth ?
14. Bring out the characteristics of Charles Lamb's essay.
15. Write an essay on the salient features of Jane Austen 's novels.
GROUP - D
16. Consider Tennyson as a Victorian Poet.
17. Write an essay on the Pre-Raphaelite Movement.
18. Discuss T.S.Eliot as a versatile personality.
19. Give an account of the role of psychology in the 20th Century Literature.
20. Why is Charles Dickens considered as a social novelist ?